As a Priestess of the Light, I honor and cherish these timeless rituals and celebrations, calling upon the natural energies that are within us and around us ~ those energies ever present within the Universe and Mother Earth herself, that enrich our lives by creating positive change. Use these in Perfect Love and Perfect Trust . . . Blessed Be.

Litha/Summer Solstice Ritual



If your tradition requires you to cast a circle, consecrate a space, or call the quarters, now is the time to do so. This ritual is a great one to perform outside, so if you have the opportunity to do so, take advantage of it.

Begin this ritual by preparing the wood for a fire, without lighting it yet. While the ideal situation would have you setting a huge bonfire alight, realistically not everyone can do that. If you're limited use a table top brazier or fire-safe pot and light your fire there instead.

Say either to yourself or out loud:

Today, to celebrate Midsummer, I honor the Earth itself. I am surrounded by tall trees. There is a clear sky above me and cool dirt beneath me, and I am connected to all three. I light this fire as the Ancients did so long ago.

At this point start your fire, and say:

The Wheel of the Year has turned once more.
The light has grown for six long months until today.
Today is Litha, called Alban Heruin by my ancestors,
A time for celebration.
Tomorrow the light will begin to fade
As the Wheel of the Year
Turns on and ever on.


Turn to the East, and say:

From the east comes the wind,
Cool and clear.
It brings new seeds to the garden
Bees to the pollen
And birds to the trees.


Turn to Face South, and say:

The sun rises high in the summer sky
And lights our way even into the night.
Today the sun casts three rays,
The light of fire upon the land, the sea, and the heavens.


Turn to face West, and say:

From the west, the mist rolls in
Bringing rain and fog,
The life-giving water without which
We would cease to be.


Finally, turn to the North, and say:

Beneath my feet is the Earth,
Soil dark and fertile,
The womb in which life begins
And will later die, then return anew.


Build up the fire even more, so that you have a good strong blaze going. If you wish to make an offering to the gods, now is the time to do it. Say:

Alban Heruin is a time of rededication to the gods.
The triple goddess watches over me.
She is known by many names.
She is the Morrighan, Brighid, and Cerridwen.
She is the washer at the ford,
She is the guardian of the hearth,
She is the one who stirs the cauldron of inspiration.
I give honor to You, O mighty ones
By all your names, known and unknown.
Bless me with Your wisdom
And give life and abundance to me
As the sun gives life and abundance to the Earth.
I make this offering to you
To show my allegiance,
To show my honor,
To show my dedication
To You.


Cast your offering into the fire.

Conclude the ritual by saying:

Today, at Litha, I celebrate the life
And love of the gods
And of the Earth and Sun.


Take a few moments to reflect upon what you have offered, and what the gifts of the gods mean to you. When you are ready, if you have cast a circle, dismantle it or dismiss the quarters at this time.


Allow your fire to go out on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment